Tuesday, September 6, 2011

noble tree sublime

to my daughter holding it all together while i quietly fall apart. how true and straight she grows!



sweet sheltering one,
you bear so much, 'tis true.

your quiet love,
brilliant morning sun,
when my feet will not
carry me through

you've borne the brunt
of so much hurt, my
tender, loving one
the observer, the recorder
of too much cruelty done

sweet sheltering one,
your roots run deep
your canopy cools us all

though your hardened bark
defends the axeman
that strikes for your core,

i see that heartwood
fine, beneath your
toughened exterior

you've grown so fine
and true and tall, a
miracle, yes, you are

my heart overflows,
humble gratitude,
for the mercy shown
us all.

you sturdy, sheltering,
majestic one

o noble tree sublime!

--bruised orange

No comments:

Post a Comment