Wednesday, October 19, 2011

i pull the bones from my throat

a toast to the ex, in the end, i drink to myself


you set the table just so,
with candle light's warm glow
musical notes drifting on air
with the wine you serve, i'm there

but then the meal arrives, with bones for my throat
bitter poison, leg of goat
i notice the wine has lost its clarity
now you laugh at the perceived disparity
you rise to leave, say you've lost your appetite
i've ruined your supper, your planned delight

you, who so carefully arrange brutality
crafting my demise with skillful hand
i won't be served by you again

i finally found my own clarity
i'm sweetest champagne, well chilled
now i realize it was your own disparity
once your evil brew was distilled

never mine, never mine
i'm sweetest wine, sweetest wine

2 comments:

  1. Baby, you need to start looking for someone to publish. Check out the literary journals. This stuff is absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete