Monday, August 15, 2011

until tomorrow, pain

my therapist wants me to tell her
all about my pain
she tells me this will help me
begin to heal again

she gave me an assignment
told me to write all about it
just put it all down in writing
what that hurt feels like.

but i can't wrap my head around it
it's much too large a task
i can't even find a place to begin
unraveling it's sticky mass

i will begin to think on something
a memory starts to form
but skitters away
before my eyes
my pain must be feeling shy.

i keep trying to peg something down
sit on it a while and ponder
but those memories remain elusive
like some irritating gnat, i can't find.

and what if it does begin to unravel?
what happens then, i ask you?
will it strangle and choke,
bind and defile me,
will it break me as it did before?

maybe instead of writing
about my hurt and how it feels
i should slather it with marmalade
and cram it down his throat!

but no, that just won't do.
i guess instead i'll sleep on it,
and try again tomorrow.

--bruised orange

No comments:

Post a Comment